Monday, December 8, 2008

I Can't Take the Abuse Anymore!

This is the third day in a row that I have been abused by "Anna." I try to acknowledge her good behavior, so I gave her a sucker when she followed my directions this afternoon. I told her that if she did not maintain the good behavior, the sucker would go in the garbage. Surprise... She started misbehaving. I took her sucker away and threw it in the garbage. She threw her typical tantrum and so I told her to go in the other room so that I could talk to her. As I turned my back to make note of the incident, I felt a huge smack on my back. It was her. I walked her into the other room as the director came entered. I'm pretty sure she's been stressed out lately, but she told me that she is "not going to do this anymore." When Anna's grandfather picked her up, I had to tell him that she has two weeks two improve her behavior. Also, if she starts screaming tomorrow (like she did today), she will be sent home. It was had news to deliver, but I think it was about time. The classroom would seriously be very different, in a good way, if her behavior improved. There was one point today when I did not really know what else to do. We have threatened her; we have tried to reward her, but I think her needs are beyond my qualifications... She needs professional help!

In other news, I still do not have my computer back, which makes updating my blog frequently difficult. I guess I'll talk about my weekend. I babysat in Evanston Friday night. I left work a little early and got into E-town around 6:30. It ended up being a short night: 10:30. I considered taking the train home, but they thought it would be a better idea if I stayed in Evanston. I ended up on Carryn's doorstep, thinking I was going to read a book 'til I fell asleep. It turns out that she got a solid draft of her paper, and we went over to a holiday party (at 1943). It was so nice to see some people that I had not seen in awhile. That is one thing I definitely miss about the "real world": having my close friends so easily accessible. (And I used to think that it was hard to get together with people. It's a whole new world now.)

Early Saturday afternoon I stopped by Camp Kesem's reunion. Sadly most of the kids attended camp this year, which I did not. For those of you who have never heard about Camp Kesem, it is a week-long camp for children who have/had a parent with cancer. I was involved in Camp Kesem all four years at Northwestern and even spent my junior year as a co-chair. Upon arriving back at home I spent the rest of the day baking and preparing for the "Merry Barry Holiday Party" at my apartment. I made carmel corn and fudge and baked some chocolate chip pecan cookies. They all went over well! :) In addition to my goodies, Melissa made red velvet cupcakes, and there was plenty of holiday m&ms, Hershey kisses and rolos. Holiday spirits included "jingle juice," "peppermint patty" shots and "reindeer rum," which was apple cider spiked with rum. For the most part I had a good turn out by my friends, but there were a few that did not come, which made me sad. Here's a special thanks to Anique, Ashley, Marissa and Dominique! For the rest of you... You missed a good time. Once my computer is up and going I hope to have new pictures posted.

I slept in late on Sunday. Once I got up I wanted to go shopping downtown, but the cold weather and slight hangover was a deterrent. I watched the Bears game and laid around. I went to the gym for little while and then made soup for the week (butternut tomato soup) and sweet potato cornbread to go with it. I like the soap; I LOVE the cornbread! :) The best part of my night last night was talking to Kathryn. Oh have I missed her! She makes me feel a little more normal about the way I am thinking and feeling. As I told her about the cooking and baking I've done this year, she suggested that I should offer lessons (as a way to make some money on the side). I would have never thought about it, but I might now... I keep thinking/hoping that there is a perfect job out there for me that I just have not discovered yet. This is big to announce in a public blog, but in talking to her, I realized why I have felt a little out of sorts lately: I am not completely confident, comfortable and happy with who I am/where I am at in life. So as of right now I am trying to figure that out- big goal! It's kind of a pre-New Years' resolution. She suggested that I try to write down things that I am grateful for everyday.

This morning I made the list on my way to work. I am grateful for:
1. being able to hear Christmas music (and dance to it in the morning when I wake up)
2. my apartment and the job I have to help me pay for it
3. my roommates, my friends and my family
4. technology that allows me to keep in touch with all of these people
5. the ability to read
6. food and the ability to eat it
7. public transportation: while it is not the most reliable, it gets me from place to place
8. sunshine

I felt so positive going into work this morning. I just wish it would have been a better day. Tomorrow's a new day. :) Now for a movie with my roommates.

No comments: