Monday, October 27, 2008

Not ready for this weather...

As I write this post, it is 45F in the windy city of Chicago. I actually wore my winter coat and ski hat on my walk to work today. Fortunately it's supposed to warm up by the end of the week, which means Halloween should be mild! :) Speaking of... I had a few friends, and one of the little girls from my class, over yesterday to help me get in the spirit. Before their arrival I baked some goodies: apple pecan muffins and pumpkin spice bread. The bread has great flavor, but a very spongy texture. The muffins, however, were a huge hit! I actually heard Anique tell Eliz, "I didn't think vegan stuff was good." C'mon Anique! I've become quite the food critic. You mean to tell me that you think I eat bland, disgusting food? haha Quite the contrary! I now absolutely love cooking and baking. I spend a lot of my free time reading recipes, shopping for the ingredients and trying new things. Some things don't always turn out as good as I hope, but that happens with any cuisine. For dinner last night I made a "cashew coconut stir fry," which had flavors like coconut milk that I hadn't eaten in awhile.

So back to yesterday: You're probably never going to believe this, but "Anna" is the little girl from my class that I watched yesterday. She came over a little after 2, followed by Lauren and then Anique and E Liz. I thought Anna would be into carving pumpkins and digging out the pumpkin seeds with her hands, but I learned that she did that Saturday night with her "Bubby" (aka Grandma). So instead I was in charge of pumpkin seed baking/ approving Anna's drawings. I made a batch of garlic salt pumpkin seeds and another bath of sugar & spice pumpkin seeds. Every one's pumpkins turned out well (pics to come soon), and the seeds were also very tasty! :) Then, Anna and I started watching Hocus Pocus, one of my all-time favorite Halloween movies. I had to go to a few different Blockbusters to get it. I spent the rest of the night getting organized for my week.

Tonight I am going into Evanston to help the DDD seniors with slating. Then, it's 8-6 Tues-Thurs at school this week. I have a feeling I am going to be TiReD on Halloween. I had a short meeting with my director today just to check in and see how she thought I was doing. I was happy to hear that she thinks I would be a great teacher. She wants me to consider teaching the junior preschool program. As most of you know, I am always up for a challenge. However, I hesitate for a few reasons. First, I love Miss Doss (my head teacher). I think we really have a great dynamic. Second, it took me awhile to get used to the attention span/attitudes, etc. of four and five year-olds. I can't imagine how I would do working with two year-olds. I definitely want to talk to her about it more though. I'm actually going to be in the preschool room 8-10 these next few days.

So here's a funny story. To teach our students about the election process and to encourage good behavior, our students vote on a class president. The class president has special priviledges like being the line leader, getting extra icecream on Fridays, etc. Well Anna was doing the wrong thing this morning, and I made mention that "if [she] didn't change her behavior, [she] wouldn't be in the running to be president." I didn't even think about what I had said until she replied, "but I'm a really fast runner!" haha so cute! :) Speaking of kids saying whatever comes to mind, did I ever write about the time she asked me if I "had a baby in my tummy" post-lunch. That was pretty embarassing; I don't think I ate the rest of the day. (jk) While my lunch break was nice, I guess I better get back to it. Happy Monday everyone!

No comments: