Friday, October 24, 2008

Did I really just do that?

This is kind of embarrassing but way too funny not to write about. On Thursday morning our school went on a field trip to Bengston's Pumpkin Fest in Homer Glen, IL. Since the buses were leaving at 8:30, I was supposed to be there at 8. (I usually work at 10.) I thought I woke up in plenty of time to get there by 8, but I was running about ten minutes behind. Since the weather's been nice, I usually walk the 40 minutes each way to work. For those of you that know Chicago and its el system, I live approximately a 15 min walk away from the Belmont el stop. I decided that hopping on the el there and heading up two stops to Sheridan would save me some time. (Plus, I still needed to finish putting on my makeup). Well, everyone else seemed to be running late that morning also. I had to run with the crowd to prevent myself from being knocked over. As I ran up the stairs to the Northbound side of the tracks a woman was yelling, "Hurry, hurry! The doors are going to close." So I ran in with the couple of others surrounding me. I was happy to get a seat as I heard the announcement: ding, dong... Doors closing. This is an express train to Howard." Shit!

Knowing that I was going to be outside all day I really bundled up. So now I am sitting on an express train headed to Evanston as I sweat in my tanktop, longsleeve, sweater and coat. There are so many people around me that I can't really remove any layers. Then, I get out my phone to call the school and notify them that I am going to be late. At this point I realize that for some reason I have their fax number in my phone. Wow! So instead of being 5-10 minutes late, I was 25 minutes late. (Too bad the bus didn't leave until 9 anyway.)

We only stayed for an hourish, but the Pumpkin Fest was so cute. We started at the pig races where we all sat in a little grandstand and watched three little pigs race around the track. Then, we made our way over to the petting zoo. I usually think of petting zoos as one and the same, but this one had a zebra, a kangaroo and alpacas! I do have a small fear of petting zoos after having have of my fingernail bit off by a hungry sheep during my childhood. The kangaroo and zebra were off limits, but I pet some baby alpacas. I almost had to leave this area because the girl I was with, who we call "Princess" in the class, wanted to leave because it smelled in there. Haha! She is so funny. One day she started crying during class. When I asked her what was wrong she told me that the cut on her arm was "ugly." I went to get a bandaid to cover up the ugliness. :)

I'm currently waiting for Jess and EmTemp to pick me up. Then we are going over to Grace and Charlie's, where we will be joined by Karen and Cat, to celebrate Grace's birthday! I cannot remember the last time all 7 of us (the Super 7) were together, and I am very much looking forward to it. I stayed up later than normal last night making Gracie a non-traditional Birthday (Carrot) Cake with homemade icing. (I really have become quite the Susie Homemaker! I love it though.) If the rain slows up this weekend, I have plans to go to a haunted house tomorrow night, and I invited some people over on Sunday to carve pumpkins and watch a Halloween movie-just trying to get in the spirit.

I don't think I have much else that's exciting to report this week. I do want to send my blessings to the friends and family of Kristen Roth who recently passed away due to an enlarged heart. :( My Dad called me to tell me Sunday night, and I couldn't believe it. Kristen graduated with me from Hononegah in 2004. We were in Track, RUDE and Student Council together.

No comments: