Friday, November 7, 2008

Back to Cold, but Some Things are DIfferent!

Like Barack Obama being our President!! Up until Tuesday afternoon I did not have any intentions of making my way to Grant Park. A few people told me that the Chicago Police Department was terrified, and it was probably going to be dangerous. However, once Charlie gchatted me and invited me to join her and Grace in some partaking of American history, I really started to think it over. I declined at the time but couldn't stop thinking about the offer. I currently live in Chicago, so I had the opportunity to partake in the celebration of the first African American President. Yet, based on past news accounts of the way Chicago fans respond to victories (ie the Bulls World Championships back in the day), my stomach felt a little uneasy. Plus, I had to be into work at 8 the next morning. Was the partying/celebrating going to last all night?

On my walk home from work I learned from Jess that Grace and Charlie were on the waiting list to get into the ticketed section. Well shoot... I wasn't that special. My co-worker, Dominique, felt mixed as well. Then, once I got home and spoke to my roommate, Melissa, it was a go! Melissa and I ate dinner, put on blue dresses (It was such a beautiful night: a cotton dress, a fleece coat and flip flops was all I needed.) and met Dominique at Belmont. I have to be honest... I still felt some uneasiness after I made my decision, but I remembered a quote I read and liked at yoga the night before: "Every day do something that you are afraid of." This was mine for the day.

As soon as the train dropped us off downtown, I could feel nothing but positive energy. The scene reminded me of a parade as tons of people walked through the streets. There was a very small "security checkpoint," but many things could have passed by. On our way in I found this awesome sign on the ground that provided a great centerpiece for my pictures of the evening. I will post them soon. We also bought some American flags and buttons to show our support. We probably arrived at our spot around 8:45, Luckily there was a projection screen not too far from where we were standing so that we could watch, and cheer, each time Obama won a state. I felt bad that my Mom, one of the biggest Obama supporters I know, wasn't there with me. I tried to make her feel like a part of it by texting her and calling her when we found out Obama won at 10PM. At first I didn'tknow if he won the whole thing or if he won another state. My sister texted me to be careful and not "get trampled." She also asked me if people were "throwing couches and setting cars on fire."

Believe it or not, I did not see anything crazy at all and haven't heard about anything either. I thought McCain's concession speech was a positive won, and it was great to hear Obama's first speech as President. I am still amazed at how many countries (270) tuned in to our election. I, and so many others in this world, were so happy and hopeful Tuesday night. Melissa, Dominique and I surprisingly caught the first train to arrive, and I was home by 1:30. I will forever remember that night, who I was with, the crowd, etc. I'm not sure what time I finally made it to bed, but it was difficult to wake up the next morning until I remembered that it was a new day. :)

If only my positive thoughts could have continued throughout the day... I've been spending a good amount of time in the preschool classroom lately in preparation for my possible transition. That day one of the three year-old boys punched me in the nose with a closed fist after I put him in time out. He hit me right where it made my eyes water, so I had to leave the room. I guess one of the other teachers really let him have it, so he was apologetic when I came back to the room. (Too bad he spit in my face later that day.) It's situations like that which make me most frustrated. The boy does not respond to any forms of punishment. Anyone can tell that he runs the house and always gets what he wants at home (which is not a positive place for him). From what I know his parents are separated, and his Mom works long hours, which leaves his high school aged sister to care for him. He will definitely be a project for me.

The following night I received a call from my friend Ashley. She wanted to know if I had any desire to go rollerblading with her along the lakefront. I hadn't done that yet, so I headed over there post-dinner, and we went for a rather windy, evening rollerblade trip. Nothing too exciting for the rest of the week. I've been battling getting sick, so I didn't do much at night. Last night I went over to Jessi's house (the girl I met at Soul Vegetarian East last Saturday). She introduced me to a couple of her friends, Staci and Marie, and together we shared an enormous and delicious vegan dinner of minestrone soup, salad, focaccia bread with a spinach and artichoke dip, pasta with sauteed vegetables and a homemade cilantro pesto dip and banana brownies for dessert. She just asked me to bring the wine, so I did, but I felt like my contribution paled in comparison to the rest of the meal. It was really enjoyable to meet new people. Even though I knew I had to wake up at 6AM this morning, I didn't want to leave. I only left with Staci and Marie around 11:45.

This morning's conference in Schaumburg was very informative, and it gave me some inspiration and new ideas to start the week. I was fortunate to grab a nap before I headed to babysitting at 6. It was an easy night: one in bed at 6:30, the other 7:30. I cleaned up and then typed up my week for all of you to read. Now it's time to catch up on other stuff. I may go into Evanston for Northwestern's Founders Day (if I wake up in time) tomorrow, and I am going to The Balanced Kitchen for dinner. It's an all organic, gluten free, vegan restaurant. I cannot wait to try it!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Always good to hear from you, and to let you know, I am very happy you have kept up with the blog because it gives me one more thing to procrastinate with at work. I really hope everything is going well and I am so jealous that you were at Grant Park. If this happened one year from now I might have been there right beside you. It is late here now so I will leave you with that, and where did those extra 75 countries come from?

Karissa said...

That's what I thought I heard on CNN. (It was loud though.) Is there a more official number?

Unknown said...

For some reason I always remember 195 being the total, if you count Tibet and Taiwan... so 193 if you are Chinese