Thursday, November 20, 2008

And Now I Know Why They Call It "The Greatest Show on Earth"

Yes, that's right. I, along with a large group of preschoolers and Kindergartners, went to Ringling Brothers: Barnum & Bailey Circus this afternoon. I would say that I was pretty spoiled as a child, but I did realize recently that my parents never took me to the circus. Well, it made today even more exciting. As soon as I entered the United Center, there was an elephant painting a picture, acrobats warming up and clowns all over the place. (Fortunately they were all pretty friendly looking.) Talk about being overstimulated. Once the show began, I never knew where to look; there was something going on in every direction of the stage. We were not able to see the entire show (We missed the grand finale), but in our time there I saw trained tigers, dogs that ran to jump and catch Frisbees, horses that carried people, ponies that carried goats, clowns, acrobats, motorcycle riders: 7 total in a fairly small cage and one on a tightrope, clowns and more. The acrobatic tricks and the motorcycle men in the cage honestly made me nervous! I am such a worrier sometimes.

As I sat there watching the show, my mind started wondering: What is it like to be a circus performer? How's the social life? the love life? How does one decide to be part of the circus? What would my parents think if I told them that I had made this decision? How are the animals really treated? I recently read Water for Elephants, and now I feel like I want to read more circus-inspired novels. I was truly amazed at everything that went on at the show as did the students. Most of them stayed in their seats the entire time. That is, unless they were dancing.

This week has gone by incredibly fast for me. I cannot believe that tomorrow is already Friday. Caitlin's coming into town, which I am very excited about, and there is also a large lighting parade taking place Saturday. Then, I know Monday and Tuesday will fly by. I am taking a half day on Wednesday and taking the metra home for the traditional bar crawl pre-Thanksgiving and lunner with my family on Thursday. :)

Besides the circus, today was good for another couple of reasons. One of the fathers from my class left me a card that said, "Thank you for the time you take to teach my son. I'm hoping that one day he's able to attend a great university like the one you attended." It was short and simple but much appreciated. He also bought me a Subway giftcard. Then, I'm thinking most of you remember "Anna." (If not, she is one of the students that made me want to quit my job a few times.) In addition to babysitting her a few times, her grandfather informed me today that I am her "plan B." I had no idea what he was talking about until he explained that this weekend "Anna" said to him, "I want Miss Karissa to be my Mommy. She looks like Sleeping Beauty." I don't think looks are a good indicator of parenting skills, but I was very flattered by the comment. The two of us have built quite a special relationship- I don't think a day goes without her telling me that she loves me, even if I am in the middle of reading a story to the others. Working with her on her anger issues has made me reconsider going into psychology and working with children. As usual though, I still am not really sure.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Karissa it's Lauren here- I'm reading your blog cause I miss you! I love this entry. You really do have a major gift for working with kids, despite how challenging they can be. If you ever need a break, though, I will be behind that too! And you do look like sleeping beauty, pretty gal! Hope you're having a great weekend! xoxo