Friday, August 1, 2008

Thanks Mom and Dad!

Thanks to my parents I have spent the past couple of days completely away from the job search. Therefore, this post is going to be a bit long. The couple of updates I do have regarding jobs are as follows: I have not heard anything back from the resumes I sent out to Childrens and UChicago (which I guess is better than a rejection), and I received a call from KiddieCorp. KiddieCorp is a need based agency that hires people for special events in Chicago. So hopefully I'll e working an event in a couple of weekends.

So onto the fun: On Wednesday my Mom, Monica and I left our house around 2:30 to tailgate the Cubs game @ Miller Park. (My Mom bought me a Fukudome shirt to wear, which was a very nice surprise! Monica represented #25 D Lee.) We loaded the cooler with lots of goodies: fruit salad, vegetables and hummus, beer (of course), chips and some faux egg salad sandwiches :). We didn't actually have the tickets yet; we were supposed to meet up with a "professional scalper" (in the words of my father) named "Big Shaun" around 5. My Mom was incredibly anxious. She kept checking her watch and asking me whether or not she should call him. When I told her to call him, she wouldn't, so I ended up calling him. I got a little nervous when I got his voicemail, which was no longer accepting messages, but he called back a few minutes later. My Mom and Monica went to get the tickets (They were gone for quite awhile.) and returned with three bleacher seats in the third section by the third baseline. He originally told us he would have three in the first or second section, but I guess it didn't work out? It seems to me like that whole scalping thing is an art. With that being said... It's not mine. Tailgating was pretty low key in comparison to what came next. We were surrounded by a ton of drunk, rowdy guys. There were some rude Brewers fans behind us that literally pulled Monica and I down when we stood up to cheer for the Cubs. The same guys were also chewing tobacco. They got it all over a sweatshirt Monica brought to sit on and I kept getting spit on the back of my legs... lovely! At one time I guess the guy was feeling nice, so he told my Mom and Sister that they both had nice behinds. (If you don't know Monica, she has quite the ghetto booty, and guys love it!) When I jokingly gave him a hard time for not complimenting me in any way, he told me that he would be arrested if he said what he wanted to say to me. Okay... CREEPY!! At one point in the game I got a delicious $10.50 bloody mary. (I guess that's a perk of being home and spending time with your parents.) It came with a skewer of olives, cheese, beef jerky and a big pickle in the middle. (I passed off everything but the pickle.) Overall the game wasn't incredibly exciting, but it was a W and we were happy about that. On the way in Big Shaun said he was going to have tickets for Thursday's game. We called him on the way home and decided that the two of us would go with our 13 year-old cousin Joey and Justin (He's my sister's ex-boyfriend, yet still really good friend? It's confusing.).

So after getting home around 12:30AM I woke back up at 8 on Thursday to get ready for the game. It was hard to get out of bed, but it was an AWESOME game!! I saw Edmonds hit a home run, followed by a grand slam his next time up to bat. (The stands were crazy!!) There were also home runs by Soriano, Ramirez and Fukudome; the Brewers 2nd pitcher of the game was kicked out for intentionally trying to hit Edmonds and Fielder got ejected for breaking his bat after his pop fly was caught. Other noteworthy events of the game include me not being able to bring my broom in :( (I was so excited that Monica and I thought to bring them.), more scalping craziness and post-parking lot banter I got in.

It started out with somebody calling us "yuppies" on the way out.
Me: "I believe the term is winners."
radom Brewers fan: You're ugly!
Me: okay?
another random Brewers fan (while running around my car): "I have AIDS. I'm from Boystown."
Me: Wrigley Field's in Wrigleyville. Nice try though."

I was a little offended that the girl called me ugly. Plus, I wish I would have told her that I'd rather be a yuppy that a hillbilly any day! haha

Everyone fell asleep on the drive home. I tried to go to the gym once I got back, but that was pretty much worthless. I felt exhausted. I would have gone to bed as soon as I got home, but I was hungry. I made some food, watched the highlights of the game on the news and was in bed around 10.

I slept until 10:30. Friday (If Monica hadn't woken me up, I may have slept longer!) I got ready to go and Joey from my grandparents' house with Monica. I had promised Joey that we would take him to see a movie this week. He picked The Incredible Hulk last time, so Monica and I picked The Dark Knight. Superhero movies aren't always my thing, but I thought this was phenomenal, especially Heath Ledger. There was one part in the movie where I got teary-eyed just thinking about his death. After the movie I went to the gym quick followed by a visit to my grandmother's house with my Mom and Dad. She recently got out of the hospital yesterday after a double bypass last week. Since there were so many people there, and we were hungry, we didn't stay too long. My parents and I went out to eat at the Irish Rose in downtown Rockford where I ordered pesto sweet corn and a wood grilled portobella mushroom- very tasty! When I got home I watched 21 with Monica, Justin and my Dad.

No comments: