Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Back to the Real World

It's my second morning back in the United States after a three week stint of traveling in Europe. While I slept from 10PM-1PM the night before last, I woke up at 5:15AM this morning after retiring around midnight last night. (I think I might still be a bit jet lagged.) I've gone through some mail and tidied up my room a bit already this morning, and not knowing what to do next, I thought I'd start a blog. If you are wondering why I decided to do so, I will tell you right now. First, I loved e-mailing my friends and family about my experiences while being abroad. Second, I met a guy named Tim on my trip (just a friend) who started a blog awhile ago, and it really intrigued me. He parted from the group in Rome, while I continued to Greece, to backpack on his own in Spain, and it was nice to be able to read about his journey when I got home. Next, I have kept a journal since I was 16. Last, seeing as I just recently graduated from college (Northwestern University), I couldn't think of a better time to start a blog. As you can see from the title of my blog,"What's Next?", I honestly have no idea where my life is going. I hoped being in Europe would lead me to some sort of epiphany, but no such luck. Last night I tried to begin the job search, but I was quickly overwhelmed. It probably does not help that I am not really sure what I want to do. As of right now careers I'm considering include nursing, teaching, psychology, nutrition and alternative medicine. So pretty much my one prerequisite involves working with people. As I searched through some hospital and non-profit job openings I realized that I've never searched for a job in this manner. In the past I've worked at a tanning salon, been a cashier/lifeguard/swim instructor at a local pool, spent a couple of summers as camp counselors, worked nights and weekends as a waitress, had a work-study job as a Customer Service Representative, babysat for a various families and held an internship at CASARC (Child and Adolescent Services Advocacy and Resource Center) in San Francisco. For the most part I heard about those jobs via word of mouth or e-mail. However, it's a different story now. As of right now I do not mind being at home: I do not have any rent or utilities to pay; I am able to spend time with my family, including my 19 year-old sister, and I have a very flexible schedule. However, not many of my friends remain in the area, and I know I will go stir crazy both being at home and not having a job. I guess that's it for now. (I just realized I don't really know how to end these.)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ha just friends...lets be serious... ha kidding, but glad I was able to get you into blogging